Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Adventure


I've always considered myself an adventurer.

Growing up in rural Pennsylvania, my brothers and I had no choice but to use our imaginations to keep ourselves entertained when we were young. During our summer breaks from school, our mother would kick us out of the house as soon as we finished our Cheerios and it was up to us to keep ourselves occupied. Three boys, punching the clock to head out into the sweltering summer sun, only to enter the house for lunch and bathroom emergencies (unless you grew up in the country or live in the alley behind my apartment, you might not know what qualifies as an emergency). When I think back to some of the things we got into I am amazed that we all still have all of our limbs. When we weren't in the front lawn working on our batting stances, we were off in the woods nailing boards to the tree tops, setting booby-traps, and learning about the "potential" dangers of gasoline. On the days that the three of us were able to make it out of the house without picking a fight, we could have had more than a dozen adventures under our belts before our mother rang the lunch bell. Adventures? I've had a few.

This one is going to be much different...hopefully with limbs intact.

-Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment